To the male survivor of sexual violence.
If you are a man and you are a survivor of rape or childhood sexual abuse, the Bluegrass Rape Crisis Center offers free and confidential counseling and advocacy services for you and your family and friends.
Men who survive sexual violence may share some similar feelings, thoughts, and reactions with women survivors, such as:
- Denial, guilt, shame, humiliation
- Feeling loss of control
- Loss of self-respect
- Flashbacks of the assault
- Anger, anxiety, fantasies of retaliation
- Depression, social withdrawal
- Changes in sexual desire and behavior
Some thoughts and feelings, however, are unique to your experience:
- Doubts about masculinity
- Guilt and shame for involuntary bodily responses during the sexual assault
- Questioning of sexual orientation
- Fears that others will scrutinize or judge sexuality
You are not alone. The Bluegrass Rape Crisis Center is here to help. Call the 24-hour crisis line at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673).